A History of Strathness House
Strathness House was built in 1874 by Mr. Matheson of the Merchant Shipping Company Jardine & Matheson, founded in China in 1843. Alexander Ross, an eminent architect of the day was commissioned to design and oversee the building of the house. Mr. Ross was also the designer of St Andrews Cathedral that stands next door to Strathness House. Mr. Matheson was a highly respected local businessman who invested in the local community although perhaps in the present times he may well be regarded as something of a dubious character due to his involvement in the opium trade.
During World War II, Strathness House was taken over by the Ministry of Defense as one of their many residences. Post the war it remained a guest house and the name Strathness House was reinstated in October 2007.